Nate and I have decided to change our wedding date from August 14, 2011 to December 11, 2011. The reason for the change is that I have been placed on a blood thinner due to the blood clot I have. Although many people are on blood thinners and they are just fine, the medication does warrant being extra careful. 'Careful' is not exactly what this bride wants to be for her wedding weekend. I would like to enjoy the sunshine (something I should not do at all at the moment), ride wave runners in the Bahamas (not a problem unless I happen to fall the wrong way), have a champagne toast (not an option to have any alcohol while on blood thinners), etc.. By December the hope is that I will be off the blood thinning medication and that I'll be on my way to (or even better - already attained) full recovery.
The irony of all of this is that Nate and I wanted to get married in the winter originally. We thought that we would be getting married this winter but we learned that my sister was expecting her baby girl December 1st. So we moved the date to April of this year but then we learned that babies less than 6 months of age are not allowed to go on cruise ships. Since our wedding is a weekend cruise wedding, we moved the date once again to August. My sister of course offered to fly in to the Bahamas for the wedding but this is a weekend affair. Having a wedding without one of my sisters (both of which are the maids of honor) is just not an option for me.
I had always said that the only time of year I did not want to get married was summer; the heat, humidity, and bad hair days just don't make for a beautiful bride. But Nate and I wanted to get the show on the road, not only because we love each other and want to proclaim that love in front of all our friends and family, but because we are ready to start a family. When we found out about the tumor and that the treatment course was radiation, we also learned that we would have to wait at least a year after radiation before we could start trying to have a baby. So with that being said and with the additional complication of the blood clot we figure we've been waiting this long to have our weekend wedding, why not postpone it a bit and assure ourselves a wonderful weekend with our friends and family.
OK so having said all of this, we would also like to invite everyone who would like to attend our weekend cruise wedding to join us. We are sailing aboard Royal Caribbean’s MS Majesty of the Seas. For more information, including prices and how to book please visit our website: http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/NathanNeal&MariaArtime
We have not sent out any invitations. We will make some new save the date cards but what we really want is for everyone to know that you're invited! Even if you don't know us personally but you've been following the blog and have been a part of this journey with us, it would be our honor if you celebrated this very special weekend with us. Just let me, Nate, or my parents know that you are interested in attending and how many people you will be traveling with (kids are more than welcome) so we can include you in all the festivities for the weekend.
I know that to date there are about 80 people who have already reserved their cruise. Your reservation has already been moved to December. If for some reason you can't make it because of the new date, please call the travel agency and let them know. Some super good news is that you can expect to save about $100.00 per person. Please see the website for the new prices and the payment deadlines (which have of course changed as well).
Nate and I are very excited about the new wedding date - and that it's no longer in the middle of hurricane season! The wedding itself will be in a church in Nassau and the reception will be back on the ship. We are so looking forward to this weekend and to sharing it with our friends and family! We have felt so loved and blessed by the entire community during this time that it would be our honor if you joined us to celebrate the start of our journey as husband and wife. We truly hope you’ll be able to sail away with us for the weekend!